Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Album Review: Caravan - Caravan (1968)


Caravan was what I would call a keystone or foundation band that was involved in the formation and establishment of the underground psychedelic sound and scene in London in the late 60s.You could call them a little brother band to the ones that broke big, such as The Pink Floyd, or a more mellow and docile alternative to the rowdy and edgy The Pretty Things. Regardless of their lack of chart toppers abroad and in the U.S., this album is a gem and one I highly recommend to anyone interested in the lesser known bands of the psychedelic heyday of swinging London.

This reminds me a little of The Move's first album, but without as much wry humor and more druggie and subversive. Yes you can hear some Pink Floyd in here, and maybe some mellower Pretty Things and Soft Machine, but they are an original sounding band on first listen, but don't expect fuzz tone drenched acid guitar feedback, it's much more tempered sonically, but experimental and edgy all the same. I definitely get the feeling while listening to this that these guys were into acid, no big surprise there, but I like their own take on the whole scene.

In the first song "Place of My Own", these lyrics really spoke to me -

I've got this place of my own
Where I can go when I feel I'm coming down
We'll do our best to ensure
You'll feel secure if you come

It's a very accepting line, and it's about having your own personal space in the world, coming down or not. And that you are welcome to take place in this special little place Caravan is going to take you. I'm on the bus guys.

Policeman is another standout, spooky and cool, very London hip, sarcastic and poking fun in all the right ways.

We can see you creeping, Mr.Policeman
Looking through the keyhole in our door

The album is not perfect, I am still finding all the spaces and corners in the music. But it is a seminal work no doubt. This is a must have album for anyone interested in British invasion bands, particularly lesser known ones that never broke big in America. The Move, The Pretty Things, Caravan, The Soft Machine, the whole Canterbury Scene is something to be checked out when you want to get beyond The Beatles and The Floyd and whatnot.



No comments:

Post a Comment